Today I’m excited to share my complete list of final f words for speech therapy practice or for at home practice.
Final F Words Speech Therapy
As a speech therapist in the schools I was always on the lookout for word lists for articulation therapy organized by word positions.
Here’s a list of the F final consonants for Speech-Language Pathologists or parents to use in their therapy sessions to work on your student or child’s target sound.
- For Example Targeted Words: laugh, leaf, tough, loaf, golf, stuff, tough, elf, half, sheriff, giraffe, roof, wife
See full list of words, phrases, and sentences below.
Be sure to grab my one page freebie of final f speech sounds below. Simply scroll to the bottom of this post and grab your free copy!
A great way to work on sound production is through minimal pairs.
A minimal pair is two words that differ by only one phoneme, in this case the /f/ sound.
For example, “face” and “vase”.
When you pronounce these words side by side, it’s easy to use auditory discrimination to hear the different phoneme in the initial sound.
Having a list of initial f minimal pairs is a great way to work on correct production especially for your students working on their phonological processes, such as consonant cluster reduction!
Final Consonant Deletion
Is your child or student struggling with final consonant deletion or weak syllable deletion of the final f sound?
If so, a great way to work on final consonant deletion is to use minimal pairs to work on the difference between making the final f sound and deleting the final f sound.
If you’re on the hunt for a helpful visual or tactile cue for final consonants then be sure to check out this one by Panda Speech Therapy – End Sound Helper Freebie – for Final Consonant Deletion Phonological Processing by Panda Speech Therapy.
If your child or student does final consonant deletion on more than just the f sound then be sure to check out this freebie that focuses on final /p ,b, t, d, m, n, k, g, s, f/ – No Print Final Consonant Deletion Picture Scenes by Teach Speech 365.
Word Positions: Final F Words Speech Therapy
Initial Position of Word
The initial position of the f sound is at the beginning of a word. For example, “famous” or “fire”.
Medial Position of Words
Some words have the f sound in the medial position of a word, such as “dolphin”, “gopher”, and “muffin”.
Final Positions of Words
The final positions of words are when the target sound is at the end of a word. For example, “loaf” or “leaf”.
Let’s review how to make the correct sound production of the f sound in the English language.
- Teeth: The /f/ sound is made in the front of the mouth. The first thing to do is to place your upper teeth ontop of your bottom lip.
- Lip Position: Again the f sound is made by placing the lower lip under the top teeth.
- Voice: This sound is a unvoiced sound. You can tell that you’re vibrating your vocal folds by placing your hand on your larynx (where an adam apple is located) and feel for a vibration. This is the only difference between the v and f sound.
Final Words at Word Level
Some ways to practice your student’s articulation disorder include having your child or student say each final /f/ word one by one as they go through a list.
Using a dot marker can also be a fun way to practice having your child put a dot under each final f sound.
In addition, I’ve compiled an easy-to-download one page overview of final f sounds below. Simply scroll down to the bottom of this post and download your free copy.
- 1 Syllable: wolf, self, off, golf, leaf, elf, scarf, loaf, barf, roof, shelf, half, beef, surf, thief, proof, turf, chef, cliff, gulf, calf, chief, staff, grief, brief, hoof, reef, stiff, deaf, dwarf, bluff, stuff, cuff, fluff, woof, sniff, life, wife, knife, rife, strife, graph, morph, laugh, rough, tough, cough, if, off, goof, poof, snuff, spoof, wharf
- 2 Syllable: yourself, relief, myself, sheriff, aloof, belief, mischief, herself, meatloaf, himself, behalf, bookshelf, mastiff, decaf, dandruff, sunroof, disbelief, soundproof, kickoff, windsurf, takeoff, standoff, safe, wildlife, midwife, giraffe, triumph, cutoff, engulf, itself, layoff, logoff, payoff, runoff, cookoff, earmuff, liftoff, handoff, playoff, airproof, blastoff, handcuff, moonroof, tradeoff, creampuff, fireproof, rainproof, rustproof, windproof, shockproof, smokeproof, unsafe, carafe, werewolf, oilproof
- 3 Syllable: handkerchief, bulletproof, waterproof, autograph, telegraph, photograph, paragraph, polygraph, astroturf, babyproof, disbelief, overstaff, powderpuff, stroganoff, shatterproof, homograph
Articulation Flashcard Set – Final F Words
Final F Words Speech Therapy
|1 Syllable||2 Syllable||3 Syllable|
SEE ALSO: 21 Best Reinforcement Games for Speech Therapy
Short Sentences or Phrases
When working on final f sound production, it’s important to work on short phrases once your child or student has mastered the sound at the word level at or near 80% or higher accuracy.
Here is a list of final f word phrases to try:
Final F Words Speech Therapy in Phrases
|1 Syllable||2 Syllable||3 Syllable|
|wolf howls||believe in yourself||carries a handkerchief|
|self help||felt relief||bulletproof jacket|
|off of work||by myself||waterproof phonecase|
|golf cart||sheriff arrived||autograph his baseball|
|leaf falls||was aloof||send a telegraph|
|elf stands||firm belief||photograph on the wall|
|yellow scarf||caused mischief||wrote a paragraph|
|loaf of bread||felt like herself||polygraph test|
|barf bucket||made meatloaf||installed astroturf|
|roof repair||proud of himself||babyproof the kitchen|
|vase on the shelf||spoke on my behalf||stares in disbelief|
|half a cookie||dusted the bookshelf||an overstaff problem|
|beef tips||mastiff barked||powederpuff game|
|surf the wave||decaf coffee||beef stroganoff|
|thief was caught||dandruff shampoo||shatterproof case|
|proof of contract||open the sunroof|
|new turf||stares in disbelief|
|chef prepares||soundproof the room|
|cliff dive||kickoff party|
|gulf of Mexico||windsurf lessons|
|calf was born||plane will takeoff|
|chief gave orders||is a standoff|
|staff meeting||felt safe|
|grief counseling||wildlife in danger|
|brief meeting||midwife helped|
|hoof of a cow||saw a giraffe|
|reef habitat||felt triumph|
|stiff neck||was cutoff|
|is deaf||engulf the building|
|dwarf in the story||leave it by itself|
|called his bluff||massive layoff|
|shoves stuff||logoff of your computer|
|cuff link||big payoff|
|fluff the pillow||runoff water|
|woof says the dog||cookoff competition|
|sniff the flowers||wear her earmuff|
|life time gaurantee||the plane has liftoff|
|next to his wife||smoothe handoff|
|knife sharpener||playoff game|
|rife with rumors||keep it airproof|
|caused strife||rocket will blastoff|
|graph the answers||police carry his handcuff|
|picture morph||moonroof is open|
|laugh together||even tradeoff|
|rough day||ate a creampuff|
|tough kid||fireproof box|
|cover your cough||rainproof jacket|
|if you go||rustproof coating|
|turn off||windproof coat|
|goof ball||watch is shockproof|
|disappeared with a poof||smokeproof area|
|snuff the candle out||felt unsafe|
|spoof video||juice carafe|
|works at the wharf||werewolf story|
Sentence Level: Final F Words Speech Therapy
The next step after working at the word and phrase levels is to work on the final f sound at the sentence level.
For example, you could give your child or student a list of sentences to read aloud while they work on their final f sound.
Another idea would be to give your child or student pictures with their final f sound in them and then have them create a sentence about those pictures.
Below is a list of sentences to use with your child or students.
Final F Words Speech Therapy in Sentences
|1 Syllable||2 Syllable||3 Syllable|
|The wolf howls at the moon.||She knows it is important to believe in yourself.||My dad always carries a handkerchief.|
|She read a self help book.||He felt relief when the test was over.||The military man wears a bulletproof jacket.|
|He is off of work today.||I went on a walk by myself.||I ordered a waterproof phone case.|
|They drove in a golf cart.||The sheriff arrived on the scene.||The boy has an autograph on his baseball.|
|The leaf falls off the tree.||The plane has liftoff.||She told me to send a telegraph.|
|The elf stands next to Santa.||She holds her firm belief.||I hung the photograph on the wall.|
|I wear my yellow scarf.||The kitten caused mischief.||She wrote a paragraph about penguins.|
|I made a loaf of bread.||She felt like herself.||He failed the polygraph test.|
|The mom washed the barf bucket.||My mom made meatloaf for dinner.||They installed astroturf.|
|We need a roof repair.||He felt proud of himself.||We need to babyproof the kitchen drawers.|
|I put the vase on the shelf.||She spoke on my behalf.||He stares in disbelief.|
|She ate half a cookie.||I dusted the bookshelf.||The company has an overstaff problem.|
|I made beef tips and potatos for dinner.||The mastiff barked at the stranger.||She signed up for the powederpuff game.|
|He goes to surf the wave.||I ordered a decaf coffee.||My aunt made beef stroganoff for dinner.|
|The thief was caught.||She uses dandruff shampoo.||My shatterproof case did not work.|
|I showed the proof of contract.||I love to open the sunroof.|
|This is new turf.||He stares in disbelief at the news.|
|The chef prepares dinner.||We should soundproof the recording studio.|
|We go cliff diving in Hawaii.||I am excited for the kickoff party.|
|The cruise left from the gulf of Mexico.||He signed up for windsurf lessons.|
|The cow calf was born last night.||The plane will takeoff after the storm passes.|
|The chief gave orders to the enlisted.||The arguement ended in a standoff.|
|The staff meeting ran late.||She felt safe in her home.|
|He went to grief counseling after his wife passed away.||The wildlife is in danger from the forest fire.|
|The brief meeting had no purpose.||The midwife helped deliver the baby.|
|The hoof of the cow kicked back.||I saw a giraffe at the zoo.|
|A reef habitat is important to perserve.||He felt triumph when he won the case.|
|I woke up with a stiff neck.||I was cutoff when driving on the highway.|
|My best friend is Deaf and so I practice sign language.||The flames started to engulf the building.|
|There is a dwarf in the story I am reading.||I will leave it by itself.|
|He called his bluff.||There will be a massive layoff in the company.|
|She shoves her stuff into a corner.||Do not forget to logoff of your computer.|
|He put on his cuff link.||The company sent a big payoff.|
|I fluff the pillow on the couch.||The runoff water is collected for the gardens.|
|The dog says, “woof”.||He won the cookoff competition.|
|She will sniff the flowers.||She wears her earmuff in the cold.|
|This product has a life time gaurantee.||The plane has liftoff.|
|He stands next to his wife.||It was a smoothe handoff.|
|I ordered a knife sharpener for my kitchen knives.||Th team won the playoff game.|
|The school is rife with rumors.||The container will keep it airproof.|
|The arguement caused strife between them.||The rocket will blastoff.|
|I need to graph the answers for homework.||The policeman will always carry a handcuff with him.|
|The picture might morph from one object to another.||The moonroof is open in the car.|
|They all laugh together.||It felt like an even tradeoff.|
|She had a rough day.||She ate a creampuff.|
|He is a tough little kid.||I put the paper in the fireproof box.|
|He will cough into his arm.||I will wear my rainproof jacket.|
|If you go, remember your coat.||He painted on a rustproof coating.|
|Please turn off the lights.||I was still cold in my windproof coat.|
|The dog is a goof ball.||The watch is shockproof.|
|It disappeared with a poof.||The smokeproof area is being built.|
|I went to snuff the candle out.||She felt unsafe and so she left.|
|They watched the funny spoof video.||The juice carafe is on the dining room table.|
|He works at the wharf.||She read a werewolf story.|
|The make up has oilproof coverage.|
SEE ALSO: Free Articulation Games for Speech Therapy
Final F Words Speech Therapy Ideas
Are you looking to add some fun and engaging activities to your therapy sessions?
Board games are a great way to reinforce practice while working on your students’ sounds.
Some fan favorite board games to try can be found here: 29+ Best Speech Therapy Board Games.
Do you have a favorite of your own board game? Simply use any game as a form of reinforcement to work on any articulation sound.
Boom cards are another fun and engaging way to strengthen your child or student’s articulation skills.
Here are a few favorite boom cards to work on the final F sounds:
- BOOM CARDS – Articulation Build a Fishbowl FREEBIE by H Groom Speech Therapy – Build a Fishbowl while you work on your students final F sound. There is also an open ended version for working at the syllable level.
- F Articulation Balloon Pop Game: Initial, Medial, Final Boom Cards + Real Game by Jenn-SLP is a fun and interactive set of boom cards that help students practice correct pronunciation of F in all positions. Students pop balloons in 2 different versions of this free game!
- F & V Piggy Bank – Boom Cards™ by Michelle’s Communication Corner is a fun activity that prompts students to put coins in the correct piggy bank as they practice F articulation. This game is distance learner friendly!
SEE ALSO: 279+ Free Speech Therapy Digital Materials
Are you a speech therapist looking for final f words to practice your clients sound errors?
Here are a couple of book companions that you can use in your therapy room to work on your client’s articulation practice.
- Book Companion: My Truck is Stuck! By Hosp Speech Therapy is a 30 page companion to go along with the book “My Truck is Stuck”. It hits more than 200 target sounds for F articulation.
- Mother Bruce Articulation Word Lists by Miss Molly’s Speech Room is a great resource to print and use to help find target sounds within passages. It is prepared for many sounds, as well as Final F.
Here are a few articulation cards and task cards to work on your child’s ability to produce the final f words.
- 20 Initial, 20 Medial, 20 Final Words, Phrases, & Sentences – be sure to grab our free downloads at the end of this post for a simple way to practice articulation. Plus these are perfect for older children since they use photos of real words.
- Initial Medial Final Playdoh Smash Mat /s/, /sh/, /f/, /th/, /z/ by JackSLPStore – Use these smash mats as fun reinforcement activity or to put the words in sentences or silly stories.
- Monster /f/ Articulation Freebie by Carly Fowler is a fun and silly freebie game that prompts students to practice final f articulation. This game includes 18 final f targets.
- Final Consonant Flies by Kari Radovich is a great game that prompts students to feed flies as the practice final f articulation. This is a highly rated favorite.
In Conclusion: Final F Words Speech Therapy
We hope you have found this article helpful for working on your child or student’s final f sound.
Be sure to grab your freebie of 20 words to start practicing 5 minutes a day!
Grab Your Free Final F Word List with Pictures Here!
Simply enter your name and email to have this free Final F Words list with pictures emailed directly to your inbox!
Want Even More Final F Words Speech Therapy?
- 21 Best Reinforcement Games for Speech Therapy
- 261+ Free Ideas for Digital Therapy
- 917+ Best Free Boom Cards for Speech Therapy
- 11 Free Articulation Games for Speech Therapy
- Best Free Interactive PDF for Speech Therapy All-in-One
Want the Best of the Bests?
Be sure to check out our most popular posts below!
- 21 Best Reinforcement Games for Speech Therapy / Teletherapy
- Best IEP Resources
- 71+ Free Social Problem-Solving Scenarios
- 430+ Free Multisyllabic Words List Activity Bundle
- 432+ Free Measurable IEP Goals and Objectives Bank
- 279+ Free Speech Therapy Digital Materials
- 179+ Free Speech Therapy Wh-Questions Printable